VMware has updated recently KB about migrating vCenter Server 4.x/5.0.x to a different host machine. The KB is available here.
Recently I have done some vCenter 5.x migrations and there are below some additional tips.
If you have some 3rd vCenter plugins (e.g. NetApp, HP) installed, you have to unregister it and later install again on a new host.
To remove 3rd plug-ins from the Available Plug-ins list:
- In a web browser, navigate to
vCenter_Server_target)name_or_IPis the name of your new vCenter Server or its IP address.
- Click Content.
- Click ExtensionManager.
- Select and copy the name of the plug-in you want to remove from the list of values under Properties. For a list of default plug-ins, see the Additional Information section of this article.
- Click UnregisterExtension. A new window appears.
- Paste the name of the plug-in and click Invoke Method. This removes the plug-in.
- Close the window.
- Refresh the Managed Object Type:ManagedObjectReference:ExtensionManager window to verify that the plug-in is removed successfully.
Also few times, I have had to update the Inventory Service url.
To update the Inventory url:
- Stop the vCenter Inventory Service.
Open a command prompt and change directory to:
cd c:/Program Files/VMware/Infrastructure/Inventory Service/scripts
Run the register.bat command to update the stored configuration information of the Inventory Service.
register.bat new_vCenter_Server_FQDN new_vCenter_Server_HTTPS_port
- Restart the vCenter Inventory Service.